People say that if you haven’t tried Istrian olive oil, you haven’t tried olive oil at all. And since extra virgin olive oil is just cold-pressed fruit juice, it’s at its peak when it’s fresh.
That’s why we’ve asked the charming Mr. Belić pictured above, one of Istria’s most respected and awarded olive oil makers, to rush a special batch to us within two weeks from tree to table.
He has kindly agreed, and selected five exceptional monovarietal oils (the EVOO equivalent of a single malt whiskey) that show the true range of what great oils can be.
- Leccino. Light and refreshing, great on fresh cheese and light seafood like prawns and raw white fish.
- Vodnjanska Crnica (97 points Flos Olei). Fruity and sweet, perfect with dark fish, salads and cheesecake.
- Pendolino. Grassy and bitter, pairs beautifully with cream soups, steak and lobster.
- Frantoio. Fruity and bitter, great with truffles, foie gras and asparagus.
- Istarska Bjelica (97 points Flos Olei). Spicy and bitter, uplifts mature cheeses and dark chocolates.
You can now pre-order the set at a special early-bird discount. No prizes for guessing which two of the five are indigenous local varieties.
But if that sounds like a bit much to process, why not let us do the work and join us for our very first olive oil and food pairing masterclass? We’re hosting it with our friends at The Providore in their beautiful downtown cooking studio, and will feature a yummy six-course tasting menu.