COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR
A dark, seductive dessert with balanced bittersweet flavors.
- 120 grams of dark chocolate with fleur de sel
- 80ml of Chiavalon Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large eggs at room temperature, separated
- 30 grams superfine sugar
- Melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water (but not touching the water), making sure you remove it from the heat before it is completely melted, then stir it gently so that the last little pieces of chocolate dissolve. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the oil and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until you have firm peaks. Set aside.
- Whisk the yolks and sugar in a separate large bowl until pale, thick and about doubled in volume.
- Gradually pour the chocolate-oil mixture into the beaten yolks and fold to mix completely. Add a third of the beaten egg whites and fold in vigorously to lighten the mixture. Now gently fold in another third of the egg whites and, when that second lot is incorporated, fold in the final third leaving behind any liquid at the bottom of the bowl of whites. No white streaks should be visible.
- Gently spoon the mousse into your cups. To get the right texture – soft and satiny, rather than set like a more traditional mousse – you can either refrigerate for 20 minutes then eat straight away, or for an hour and then take out to come to room temperature for 40 minutes before eating.